Built in 1690 by William Ellis (whose own cottage of the same period is immediately opposite) the Meeting House is still owned by the Society of Friends (Quakers) and used for Worship.
The attached building was originally a stable for horses of Quakers attending meetings. It was converted in 1940 into a wartime evacuee hostel, used as a holiday hostel from 1943 and totally refurbished in 2011.
The Barn re-opens on the 1st of May (2011), having been completely refurbished. It now has two large social rooms, two kitchens, two showers and a 6-bed bunk room, with additional space for sleeping on the floor. Overnight guests need to bring their own bedding.
The Barn, Meeting House and walled garden are available for daytime and evening activities, events, meetings, exhibitions and classes as well as for overnight stays. The Meeting House, which has excellent acoustics, can accommodate an audience of about 70. Both the Meeting House and the ground floor of The Barn are disabled accessible; there is a hearing-assist loop in the Meeting House. For more information and to make bookings, please telephone our Resident Friend on 01729 830263 (evenings).
Hostel Bunk Barn accommodation
- 6 bed bunk room
- 2 large social rooms
- 2 kitchens
- Inside WCs, 2 showers
- Disabled accessible ground floor
Available for single nights, for longer stays and for daytime and evening use.
Address: The Nook, Airton,
County: North Yorkshire
Post Code: BD23 4AE